By the 19th century, there was a need for a school in the Newbattle area. Newbattle paper mill opened in 1795, Newbattle and Newton Grange collieries had opened, Newbattle Brick and
Tile works opened in 1840, and Newbattle Gasworks opened in 1873. 
Schools in Newbattle and Newtongrange
The first school recorded in the Newbattle/Newtongrange area was the Parish school at Crawlees,
which was built in 1835 to serve the first colliery houses at Newton Grange (as it was then known). In 1849 this
was followed by Newton Grange Colliery Schools.
Both of these schools closed in 1893 when the Newbattle Public School was opened in
Gardiner Place, Newtongrange. The building is still in use today as the Newbattle Community Learning Centre.
The original bell from this school is still on display of the current Newbattle High School foyer to this day (see picture). This school was both a primary and a secondary school. In 1907, an extension was built to the Newbattle Public
School by architect Alexander Murray Hardie. The extension
comprised a new infant department and alterations..
The school remained both a primary and secondary school until 1925, when overcrowding was relieved by the
construction of a primary school in Sixth Street, Newtongrange (still in use today as Newtongrange Primary School).
As of 1925, Newbattle Public School became exclusively a secondary school.. Also,
in about 1924, a school for the Roman Catholic children of Newtongrange and Gorebridge had opened at Newtonloan
Toll, midway between the two villages (the site of the current St Andrews RC Primary School).
Records of the Newtongrange Gala Day show that the dux of Newbattle Public School was crowned Queen of
Newbattle Parish at the gala each year.
These records also show that at some point between 1940 and 1944, the name of the school changed to Newbattle Junior Secondary School.
Newbattle High School in its present incarnation in Easthouses opened in 1969 - the same year
that Easthouses Mine closed, Newbattle Swimming Pool opened, and the original railway line closed. It
continued to serve the communities of Mayfield, Easthouses and Newtongrange until enlargement in 1994, when
Greenhall High School closed, and Gorebridge and the outlying villages of Temple, Borthwick and North Middleton
also became part of the Newbattle catchment area.
Newbattle High School became Newbattle Community High School in 2000 when it (along with its
associated Primaries) was granted New Community Schools status. In 2005, it became one of Scotland's first
Schools of Ambition, and in 2008 it became an SFA School of Football.
On 26th September 2012, Mike Russell (Cabinet Secretary for Education and Lifelong Learning) visited Newbattle and announced that Newbattle would be one of 30 schools across Scotland to receive funding for a new school building. Construction started in 2016 and the new Newbattle Community Campus is due to open in spring 2018. The campus will house Newbattle High School, as well as community library, sports centre and cafe facilities.
In 2017 it was announced that Newbattle High School would become a Digital Centre of Excellence.
Head Teachers of Newbattle High School
- 2017-present: Mr Gib McMillan
- 1999-2017: Mr Colin B. Taylor
- Acting Head Teacher from January 2012 to June 2012 whilst Mr Taylor was on secondment as Head of Education: Mr Graham Moffat
- Acting Head Teacher from October 2010 to December 2011 whilst Mr Taylor was on secondment as Head of Education: Mr John J. Wilson
- 1978-1999: Mr S. Gordon Smith
- 1969-1978: Mr Robert Reid