School Meals are available in the school cafeteria, known as the Bite Site. The school meals team at Newbattle High School are committed to providing healthy, good value food and look forward to welcoming pupils every day. The school meals service operates:
- a breakfast bar at the start of the school day
(8.00 – 8.25)
- during the morning interval (10.40 – 10.55)
- a cafeteria during the lunch interval (12.50 – 1.40).
Central to a good education is good health It's a proven fact that when you eat and drink nutritiously, you feel better - and learn better.
That is why the entire school management team and the catering staff are encouraging pupils to use the schools meal service. Not only are school meals healthier than going outside to takeaways, they're also better value, with prices starting from just 50p for homemade soup, and a two-course main meal with a drinks costing just £2.00.
Pupils today can choose from a wide range of items and main meals, including fresh fruit, yoghurt, baguettes, panini, sandwiches, salads, pasta, traditional meals and home baking - all prepared in the school kitchen.
Pupils can also enjoy a pre-order service that lets them pick up their food as soon as the lunch bell rings, allowing them more time to relax and socialise during the lunch break. There is even a breakfast service, where pupils can ensure a good start to the day with fruit, cereals, toast an hot drinks.
Free School Meals
Under the Education Committee’s policy, children in attendance at schools under the management of the Authority are entitled to free school meals if their parents/carers are in receipt of:
- either Income Support or Income-based Jobseekers Allowance and Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit (subject to a maximum annual income)
- or both maximum Child Tax Credit and maximum Working Tax Credit (subject to a maximum annual income)
- or support under Part VI or the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
No other children are eligible for free meals. Further information and an application form can be obtained from the school or from the Free Meals and Free Clothing Section, Education and Children’s Services Division, Fairfield House, 8 Lothian Road, Dalkeith EH22 3ZG.