The English Department
Literacy is the key that opens all other doors in education and possessing a command of language forms a basis for intellectual, imaginative, moral and emotional growth. With this objective in mind, the English department is dedicated to ensuring that all Newbattle learners have the opportunity to learn, build on prior success, and achieve their potential through language.
To this end the Newbattle CHS English department ensure that learning through the mediums of reading, writing, talking and listening is active, challenging and enjoyable; encourages high levels of accomplishment and intellectual skills; involves the opportunity to develop individual interests and decision making; builds individual confidence to enable a valued contribution to society; progresses towards the highest levels of achievement.
Within the broader school, literacy across all subjects is a central part of the Newbattle High School strategy and the school is committed to improving standards in literacy in all areas of the curriculum.
Our Departmental Aims
- To provide learning opportunities for all
- To develop a student's capacity for learning and potential to achieve
- To convey knowledge which is important and to promote the development of values, understanding and capabilities
- To make learning active, challenging and enjoyable
- To encourage high levels of accomplishment and intellectual skill
- To give opportunities for students to make appropriate choices to meet their individual interests and needs, while ensuring that these choices lead to successful outcomes
- To ensure that assessment supports learning
- To give young people the confidence, attributes and capabilities to make valuable contributions to society
- To enable all young people to flourish as individuals, reach high levels of achievement, and make valuable contributions to society
The English Course in S1, S2 and S3
From S1 until the end of S3, all pupils will experience a broad general education where they will work across the experiences and outcomes of Curriculum for Excellence.
In S1 and S2, all pupils currently attend English for four periods per week. More information about the S1 and S2 English course will be added here soon. They will also experience literacy in all other subjects across the curriculum.
In S3, pupils all pupils will have 4 periods of English per week. For full details, see the S3 Coursing Handbook. This course delivers experiences and outcomes in S3, and will then prepare pupils for appropriate National Qualification in S4. English teaches learners how to get the most out of reading, writing, listening and talking. Through their studies they will become familiar with the richness of literature as well as gaining vital skills. Learners will develop their abilities to communicate their thoughts and feelings and to respond to those of others. A wide range of texts – literature, non- fiction and media will be studied to develop language awareness. There will also be a focus on Scottish literature and language. Key areas are:
Understanding Language – Analysis and Evaluation
- Producing Language – Creation and Production
- English Assignment
Pupils will be working on Experiences and Outcomes at Second, Third and Fourth Level. The course prepares pupils for qualifications in English at National 3, National 4 or National 5 in S4.
English courses in S4, S5 and S6
In the Senior phase, pupils work on courses that lead towards National Qualifications at the end of S4, S5 and S6.
In S4, all pupils will have 5 periods per week of English and for half of the year, and in S4, S5 and S6, pupils can choose to take courses in the English department. For full details of the courses available, see the S4/5/6 Coursing Handbook. Courses currently offered in the English department in S4, S5 and S6 lead to awards in:
- English at National 3, National 4, National 5, Higher and (where demand exists) Advanced Higher levels.
- Media at National 5 level.